Scientists claim that our body synthesizes about a hundred hormones and that 6 of them are important for female beauty. They contribute to the elasticity of our skin, preserve our youth, and even contribute to our good mood. However, due to unknown reasons, sometimes our body fails, hormones levels decrease, and a person starts to age prematurely. The good news is that there are reliable methods to restore the balance of hormones.
We have carefully studied medical literature and is ready to tell you how to sustain an optimal level of hormones. This will help your skin glow and make your nails and hair look like a million bucks.
Estrogen causes fibroblast cells to produce collagen and elastin. When the level of this hormone decreases, wrinkles appear, the face oval becomes uneven, and the breasts become saggy. However, it’s not just about the skin — the lower the level of estrogen is, the faster the body wears out.
How do you raise the level of estrogen?
- Food. Soy-based tofu, soy milk, brown rice, flaxseed, fresh vegetables, and fruits. Scientists claim that meat products suppress the production of estrogen which is why it’s better to reduce your consumption of animal protein.
- Cosmetics. Specifically creams that contain phytoestrogens. For example, serums and creams with licorice root fight aging because it contains liquiritigenin — an antioxidant that stimulates collagen production.
- Food additives. Phytoestrogens are sold as dietary supplements in the form of red clover, oregano, or сimicifuga. Though they are not hormonal drugs, it’s still necessary to consult a doctor before taking them.
2. Growth hormone (somatotropin)
People tend to get somatopause with age — a condition when the level of growth hormones in the blood starts decreasing. When the levels of somatotropin are reduced, muscles decrease while fat and wrinkles start to appear in excessive amounts, the mood deteriorates, and endurance decreases. Hollywood celebrities often start to inject the growth hormones, however, this method has a lot of unpleasant side effects like swelling, headaches, and even uncontrolled growth of bones and internal organs.
How do you raise the level of growth hormones naturally?
- Physical activity. Walking at a speed of 2.5-3.5 miles per hour, physical exercises with weights (10-15 reps each). It’s better if strength training precedes aerobic exercise — at first, work with dumbbells, then walk. Of course, walking outside is the best option.
- Temperature changes. Visiting a sauna or taking contrast showers stimulates the production of growth hormones.
- Sports supplements. Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA) improves sleep and increases the levels of somatotropin.
3. DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone)
DHEA is a hormone that has a soothing and anti-aging effect. But the thing is that our body only produces it until the age of 30. After that muscle tone starts to fall, vessels become more brittle, and the skin loses its elasticity.
How do you raise its level naturally?
- Include healthy fats in your diet — our body produces DHEA from them. Nuts, seeds, fatty fish, and avocados contain essential polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- Eat protein products for breakfast — they help to fight against mood swings and stabilize the nervous system at the very beginning of the day.
Melatonin regulates our daily rhythms. In other words, it informs the body that it is time to rest. All cell renewal processes happen during sleep and if it is disturbed, people start to age prematurely. The lack of melatonin leads to the appearance of wrinkles, hair loss, and the formation of pigment spots.
How do you raise the level of melatonin?
- Food. Melatonin is contained in bananas, tomatoes, rice, and corn.
- Alcohol, smoking, and caffeine are contraindicated. When consuming them, the production of this hormone stops. Some drugs such as beta blockers, hypnotics, and anti-inflammatories have the same effect.
- Food additives. Melatonin can be taken in pill form — and it is freely sold in drugstores. Some experts claim that we need to artificially restore the lack of melatonin after the age of 35. In any case, always remember to consult your doctor first.
A high level of the stress hormone cortisol leads to premature aging. Depending on the skin type, the negative effect of cortisol manifest in different ways — from a gray face color, to dry and peeling skin, to deep wrinkles and oiliness and acne. This hormone breaks down collagen fibers and makes skin flabby.
How do you reduce the level of cortisol and stress?
- Drink enough water. Even slight dehydration increases the level of this hormone. And a small thing, like a glass of water, will help you to relax.
- Food supplements with rose root decrease the level of anxiety and cortisol.
- Listen to good music. Scientists say that music therapy decreases the level of stress.
- Meditation literally makes our body decrease its level of cortisol without medicine.
Insulin increases glucose levels in the blood, and whenever it gets out of control, early signs of aging appear on the skin. A high level of sugar leads to the appearance of wrinkles, as well as saggy skin.
Due to an increase of glucose, the process called glycation (the bonding of sugar molecules and proteins) runs faster than it should at a certain age which leads to the destruction of collagen and elastin. Elastic skin then becomes fragile and dehydrated.
How do you protect skin from an excess of sugar?
- Consult a doctor in order to figure out the level of sugar in your body. After consulting a specialist, you can start treating the issue.
- Cosmetics. Creams and serums with retinoids (vitamin A and its derivatives) stimulate the production of collagen. These cosmetic products should contain vitamins C and E, and green tea — they all work as antioxidants.
- Use sunscreen daily even in the winter. Sun rays destroy elastin fibers and contribute to rapid aging.
Do you watch your hormone level? Tell us about your experiences in the comments!