Our skin’s beauty and health mostly depend on proper blood circulation. A facial massage that improves blood and lymph flow and reduces water retention can minimize the appearance of wrinkles and improve your skin tone. You can give yourself such a massage using spoons. The spoon massage is really popular in Japan, Korea, and China. Today it’s also used in different European countries: for example, German cosmetic Rene Koh recommends it to rejuvenate your skin.
There are many spoon massage techniques and Bright Side has collected the most interesting and effective ones. After just 2 weeks of doing the massage every day, you’ll already notice changes.
What do I need?
- You’ll need small spoons. In Asia, porcelain or ceramic spoons of a certain shape are used to provide a better point pressure. But regular spoons will do too. Just make sure they don’t have any sharp edges or notches.
- Oil that you’re not allergic to (for example, coconut oil) and face cream. Apply creamy oil or cream before a massage. If your oil is too runny, you may dip the spoon into it. For your information: the method with cream is more convenient.
- Cold and warm water. You may also add any herbal concoction. Alternating cold and warm spoons provides better blood circulation and stimulates nerve endings.
A few useful tips:
- Sanitize your spoons and store them separately.
- Clean your skin before a massage.
- Apply enough oil or cream for a better gliding (don’t apply it to your eyes.)
- Don’t press too hard to avoid bruises and vessel injuries.
- The best time for a massage is in the morning.
Watch the temperature: warm spoons should be comfortable for the skin.
10. Get rid of under-eye bags and swelling.
Getting rid of under-eye puffiness
Place the convex side of a cold spoon under your eyes and move them up and down and back and forth. If you apply cream under your eyes, your movements can be more intense. The duration is 1-2 minutes.
Getting rid of swollen eyelids
Close your eyes and place the convex side of a cold spoon on your eyes. Let the spoons get warm, dip them into cold water, and place them on your eyes again. Repeat 5-7 times.
9. Reduce wrinkles between eyebrows.
Place a cool spoon on the upper part of the bridge of your nose and, slightly pressing, move up to the upper part of your forehead. Repeat the same actions using a warm spoon. Continue using both spoons one-by-one 10 times.
8. Get rid of crow’s feet.
Place the backs of cold spoons on the outer corners of your eyes. With 5-7 circular motions transfer the utensils toward the temples, increasing the pressure. Change your spoons to warm ones and repeat. Continue the massage (while changing spoons) 5 times.
7. “Open up” your eyes.
Place warm spoons at the beginning of your eyebrows the way it’s shown in the picture. Use circular motions to slide slowly to the temples, slightly lifting your eyebrows. Repeat the same procedure 10 times.
6. Get rid of forehead wrinkles.
Place warm spoons in the middle of your forehead and move to your temples with circular motions. You may also avoid using circular motions and stretching your skin with the spoons. Then you get back to the middle of the forehead. When spoons get cool, heat them again. The duration of the massage is 2-3 minutes.
5. Reduce laugh lines.
Open your mouth and slightly stretch out your lips. Place heated spoons under your nose the way it’s shown in the left photo. Move the spoons with circular motions to both corners of your mouth. With circular motions, get back under your nose. Repeat 5-7 times.
4. Get rid of a double chin.
Place 2 warm spoons under your chin and move them to your ears with circular motions, slightly stretching your skin. Don’t forget that the spoons should always be warm. Repeat 10 times.
3. Tighten your cheeks.
Place warm spoons at the corners of your mouth, keeping them upright. With circular motions, move the spoons to your ears. Then heat the spoons again, place them in the starting position, slightly open your mouth, and smile the way it’s shown in the right picture. With circular motions, move the spoons under your ears. Repeat both exercises 5-6 times.
2. Take care of your décolletage skin.
Place warm spoons on the solar plexus and move them to your collarbone with circular motions, massaging the whole décolleté area. Dip the spoons into cold water and repeat the same moves. Continue changing warm and cool spoons 10 times.
1. Relax your neck muscles.
Place a warm spoon under your ear the way it’s shown in the left picture. Press slightly and move to your collarbone. Repeat 10 times.
Consult your doctor or don’t do these types of massages if:
- you suffer from rosacea;
- you experience problems with the lymphatic system;
- your veins are located close to the surface of the skin;
- you have skin inflammation or damage.
- It’s recommended to do the spoon massage every day. If you don’t have such an opportunity, you may create your schedule, as long as it’s on a regular basis.
What is your favorite type of massage therapy? Have you ever tried the spoon massage? Share your experience with us in the comments section below!